Mr. Giovanni Bautista Perazzo, an Italian gentleman from Genoa
Italy, became an "undertaker", as it was then called, at the turn of
the 19th century.
He was a man of progressive ideas, forbearance and had the quality
of making everyone feel at ease. He appealed to and impressed
everyone he had occasion to meet and his congenial personality had
earned him thousands of loyal friends. His two sons, Sylvio
and John and also his daughter Alvina ably assisted him.
1926, G.B. Perazzo erected an establishment at 199 Bleecker Street
in Greenwich Village called the G.B. Perazzo Funeral Church.
It was without exception
the finest and most complete and modern funeral home in New York
City. It was not a converted townhouse, but a newly
constructed building, architecturally designed as a funeral home.
This was during a time when most wakes took place in the homes of
In 1987 John Perazzo, grandson of G.B., decided that he wanted
the tradition of his grandfather to continue. Without any
heirs to succeed him, he saw the opportunity to continue the proud
heritage of his family with a young funeral director named Peter C.
Since then, Peter DeLuca has expanded immensely upon the proud and
reputable tradition of the Perazzo family. The facilities have
been impeccably renovated, restored, and beautifully furnished.
Peter will continue to care for and serve the Greenwich Village
community and its surrounding areas with the same professionalism
and respect that the Perazzo family demonstrated for almost a